Thursday, November 18, 2010

Chestnuts - to eat or not to eat?


I have two questions for you today:

1. Did you ever try chestnuts?

2. Did you eat something before that was poisonous and you didn't know about it?

I am linking my questions with Blessing Reflections Thursday meme:
THIS

You read my two questions and now I would like to let you know, that if you ever try to get your own chestnuts for eating, be very careful what you chose.


The ones pictured at the end of my post are poisonous and they are called Horse chestnuts. My partner always like to try new things, so one day while on our walk he gathered some lovely looking chestnuts and decided to roast them. I am not the one for trying new things so I said I won't be eating it. I don't think he actually ate many of them either. But after a day or two he got a very bad rush on his arms and hands and wondered why. I think only after a week or so I decided to check some info about chestnuts and the wonderful Internet provided me with some knowledge. The chestnuts that he ate were poisonous, so I am so grateful that apart from the rush there was no other bad consequences.


Now for some good news, we collected that day as well some Edible Sweet Chestnuts, at first when I took that photo ( the one below) I had no clue what it is but again the Internet is great for information you need. The pod of the edible sweet chestnut has a sort of porky-pine look to it with thin needle like spikes that point out in all directions and form a sort of thicket where you cannot see anything but the spikes. These are green while the chestnuts are forming and then turn brown when the chestnuts are mature


Sweet Chestnut





Horse Chestnuts


BEFORE




Above photo is SOOC and the one below is after I did some changes. It was taken with Nikkon D5000 and I used Microsoft Office picture manager. First I cropped it, next adjusted mid tones a bit and added some contrast.


These shots are my entries for Before and after photo meme. To see other entries check Before and After at Pixel Perfect blog


AFTER



26 comments:

Krislin Neo, Ting (Syracuse Pike) said...

1) Yes, I did.. I can't really say if I like them but well, not totally a huge fan of them, for certain..

2)Hmm, no.. and I wished that will never happened..

Glad your friend is fine and yes, one has to be careful with what one picked to eat.. :)

Sarah Halstead said...

Great edit! I really love it. Glad he wasn't seriously hurt.

Luna Miranda said...

thank goodness we don't have chestnuts here, wild or otherwise.:p we usually buy freshly roasted chestnuts at the supermarket. roasted chestnuts are available by early December. i love your photo of the sweet chestnut.

yes, i did eat something poisonous and didn't know about it until about 3 hours later when i couldn't breath and had a terrible stomach pain. apparently, we ate contaminated fish but i was the only one who was poisoned.:(

Just Bits and Pieces said...

Beautiful shots & a great edit! How lucky that it was only a rash!!! Oh gosh!

Donnie said...

The only chestnuts I have ever had were from a can. But the Horse chestnuts resemble the ones I see people roasting around Christmas.

I've never intentionally ate anything poisonous but have had salmonella after eating scrambled eggs at a restaurant. I'm glad your friend didn't have a worse reaction.

Sheri said...

Never eaten them but am so glad your hubby was okay! Yikes! Beautiful shots though and the horse chestnuts are just gorgeous!

Heather said...

Wonderful color and light!

Cathy Kennedy said...

I have had chestnuts years ago. My husband's grandmother would put them in her dressing at Thanksgiving. This was quite good. Since then, I've only had them a time or two, but I always bought them in the store. I would not trust myself to pick something in the wild to eat. No, I don't believe I've ever eaten anything that's poisonious.

maureen said...

Nice edit. The sooc was a bit dull, but the edited version has such rich color and light.
Lucky you, not eating bad stuff. Glad he didn't suffer worse problems. Good info to know!

Gale said...

Thanks for the tip! If you had shown me those pictures and asked which was edible and which was poisonous, I would have gotten it exactly backwards.

I've never eaten chestnuts. I have, as a kid, eaten elderberries...which I later heard were poisonous. I couldn't understand that because we all ate a bunch, and made jam out of them too, and no one got sick. Well, I just looked it up and it turns out that the he leaves, twigs, branches, seeds and roots, as well as the unripe berries, are poisonous...but the ripe berries (pulp and skin) are safe to eat. I imagine we ate some of the seeds too...kind of hard not to if I remember, but it's probably like apple seeds, where they pass through your system and you'ld have to chew up a whole bunch to get sick. But don't test me on that. The flesh is delicious though, so if it's ripe, go ahead and try it!

Here's the wiki I just found that on:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambucus

Linda Robinson said...

I love all the shots.. But that first photo is just gorgeous.. and your editing on the 3rd photo looks wonderful.
I have never had Chestnuts. And I have never ate anything that made me sick.. I guess I am pretty lucky..

Hope you have a happy day!

Hugs, Linda

Ashley Sisk said...

Good to know - I actually like your SOOC on the horse chestnuts and the sweet chestnuts are rather pretty.

Margaret Duarte said...

I love chestnuts and used to eat them all the time when my mother-in-law was alive. She fixed them this time of year. They were so sweet when still warm. Taking the skins off is a little work though, especially when they're not properly cooked.

Your photographs are wonderful. What a talent.

Poetic Shutterbug said...

Fantastic shots.

1. Yes I have eaten chestnuts and I do like them but luckily have never eaten anything poisonous.

Faith said...

LOVE your photo & edit :) So cute!

Pixel Perfect said...

Great capture and the colors in the edit are beautiful!

Winn (aka Koreen) said...

Gorgeous tones. :)

Rosie@leavesnbloom said...

Wonderful transformation to the photo Ewa. My friends pup ate lots of those chesnuts a few weeks ago and was ever so sick withing 1 hour of eating them. So glad your partner only took a rash.

Jenilee said...

your edit really brightens them up and creates a totally different mood in the picture! great job!

Serendipity Chic Decor said...

I am not a fan of chestnuts, and I'm glad now after reading your post. But, even though I am not a fan of them, I am a fan of how gorgeous your photos are.

Thanks for stopping by my blog...

Take care,
Lisa

Dina @ 4 Lettre Words said...

Very interesting...and I really LOVE the edit!

Terri said...

I agree.... very interesting! I've ever had chestnuts and I would probably do the same thing and eat the poisonous ones! They do make for really neat pictures!!!

Hannah said...

Wow, I am really glad that all he got was a rash too! I have had the non-poisonous kind of chestnuts before and I wasn't a huge fan. I had no idea that there were any that were not edible! I am just happy that everyone is ok!

Ann said...

The Chinese and other Asians love it. You either boil or roast them. Once I went collecting, and tried them raw, they were bitter. My sister joked I was trying to poison her.

Later I found you have to cook them.

Self Sagacity said...

I have eaten chestnuts and liked them well. I haven't eaten anything poisonous I didn't know that I know of - LOL- if you could understand this negative and positive description.
Although I have eaten food bought from cafes or restaruants that were not good, i.e. overdue food that they still sell to the customers. Which gave me food poisoning, a very bad feeling.

SquirrelQueen said...

I have eaten chestnuts, in fact we have an American Chestnut tree in our yard. There are quite a few different types of chestnuts and it's a good idea to make sure they are safe before eating.

I have never eaten anything poisonous.

Related Posts with Thumbnails