Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Giants Causeway ( before and after)


If you ever going to visit Ireland you must see The Giant Causeway in the North of Ireland

The 'causeway' takes its name from the legends of Finn MacCool and draws people from far and wide.

The north coastline in renowned for it scenic beauty and the Giant's Causeway is its unique jewel in the crown, known to the Irish as the 8th Wonder of the World. A jagged promontory of neatly packed columns of hexagonal basalt rocks created some 6 million years ago by a flow of basaltic lava. As the lava cooled it formed these distinctive hexagonal shapes just as the bottom of a dried riverbed would crack into shapes.
It is easy to see how these almost perfectly symmetrical formations would be viewed as otherworldly by our earlier ancestors and how the Giant's Causeway would give rise to colourful legend.

The story goes that mythical Irish giant Finn MacCool built the causeway to get to Scotland and battle with a rival giant called Benandonner. When he got there he found that the Scottish giant was asleep but also far bigger than himself, so Finn returned back across the causeway. When Benandonner woke up he came across the causeway intent on fighting Finn. Finn's wife dressed up her husband as a baby and when Benandonner arrived she said Finn wasn't home and to be quiet not to wake up the baby. When Benandonner saw the baby he decided that if the baby was that big, Finn must be massive. So he turned tail and fled back across the causeway ripping it up as he went. All that remains are the ends, here at the Giant's Causeway and on the island of Staffa in Scotland where similar formations are found. ( as per "my guide Ireland" )





AFTER


I am linking these photo with Before and After Blog hop



BEFORE


and here are few more photos from this beautiful place









24 comments:

Ashley Sisk said...

Your edits are so vibrant. Very nice.

Just Bits and Pieces said...

So amazing there! And I love your edit!

nana_ang_poppaphil said...

Beautiful story and the photos are amazing.

Rosie@leavesnbloom said...

Lovely edits Ewa - I used to spend every summer up there. It was only when I moved to Scotland I found out that there are the same formations on a stretch of the West Coast of Scotland aswell though not as stunning as those in Co Antrim.

Dina @ 4 Lettre Words said...

Gorgeous! That edit looks like a painting. Love it.

Mommy2Four said...

Beautiful! I love how much that edit pops!

Katie said...

That's really cool and beautiful - they do look like stepping stones! :) Nice vibrant edit!

Raymonde said...

This is one of the places on my visit list. Thanks for sharing. The edit at the top is wonderful and vibrant.

Take care. xxx

Photo Freak said...

nice POP.

maureen said...

Really nice edit, just enough to make it really vibrant. What an interesting story, too. Thanks for sharing!
♥maureen

Diane said...

Beautiful rock formations and pictures! :O)

Blondie's Abode said...

Excellent edit! I love all of your photos! Very nice. I love the story to go along with the pics. They do look like they were made and placed there.

Liz said...

Great editi so rich in color. These shots are really nice I like the one of the pair sitting together with the back view.

EmptyNester said...

I'm not a traveler but your photos make me want to go! New follower from before/after hop!

urban muser said...

beautiful scenery. gorgeous photos!

jillconyers said...

Amazing photos with such rich colors. What lens did you use?

Ewa said...

Jill, I took these photos with my old camera -HP Photosmart R740

Elizabeth said...

These are truly sensational photos. Absolutely mesmerizing!

Jen M said...

wow, absolutely beautiful!!

new follower via hop along friday :)
http://jensgiveaways.blogspot.com

walshblog said...

These photos are wonderful, you captured the area perfectly. Love seeing photos of Ireland,my whole family is from there and it takes me back home. The few times I was there I wish I was into photography!

Kala said...

Great edits. This is a place that I would love to visit if I ever return to N. Ireland.

Buckeroomama said...

Stunning views! Ireland is definitely on my "places to visit one day" list. =)

Elizabeth's Photo Blog said...

Beautiful shots! I love how the edit pops. Ireland is on my list of places to visit.

Mrs.D said...

what a wonderful spot to visit...stunning shots Ewa....love it!

Related Posts with Thumbnails