Thursday, July 29, 2010

How to get your Herb Garden at home



Herbs are easy to grow at home and it's a great way to add color and fresh herbs to your cooking.You can add them to almost any recipe.

Try this simple instructions of creating new containers for your herbs. What a great idea to have them on the windowsill close to place where you cook.

What you will need to make this project:

  • Metal can ( I used food can)

  • Herbs (pick whichever you use the most)

  • Decorative paper

  • PVA glue

  • clear varnish

  • brush

  • scissors

  • hammer/screwdriver or simply drill




Use drill or hammer and screwdriver to make holes in the can so if there is too much water it can come out





Cut your decorative paper to fit the shape of the container.

I found this herb design paper and I thought it will be perfect for this project



Spread the PVA glue on to the container, don't use too much





Stick your paper to the containers





Once it dries, you can put a coat of clear varnish. If you want to make it more shiny,
after the first coat dries put second or third layer.



Wait for the varnish to dry and then you can start planting your herbs



And that's it you done. Now you can pick your chosen herb whenever you need it.













16 comments:

Mimi and Tilly said...

Hi Ewa, thanks for following my blog. I love these herb cans, they look so pretty. Thanks for sharing your idea, I'm going to have a go! Em x

Amanda said...

I just wanted to stop by and let you know that I linked to this post today from the new Home & Garden channel at Craft Gossip. :) My hope is to share many of the fabulous projects I see everyday with the vast CG audience. I hope you will not only stop by and subscribe to CG, but will tell your friends about the new category! Hope you see some traffic from it!

Your feature will appear in the main Craft Gossip RSS feed, on the main home page and can be found directly here
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/lovely-counter-herb-garden/

If you would like a "featured by" button, you can grab one here!
http://homeandgarden.craftgossip.com/grab-a-craft-gossip-button/

reyka said...

Ewa - where did you buy this paper? very nice and simple idea :)

Ewa said...

Reyka, the paper came with some craft magazine, that I bought good few years ago, I didn't have an idea at that time how to use it, so it was in my draw for some time now, but that's why I like to keep my crafty bits, just in case they will come handy one day

Ms Muffin said...

Oh, I love those cute pots! And I really love the idea of having fresh herbs in the kitchen. Unfortunately my herbs always die on me! :-( I might have to try one more time though ... maybe I get lucky! :-)

Sunny Day said...

I like the idea of fresh herbs and wonder how much light they need. Both my kitchen windows open onto screened in porches so no much light.

Lilac City Momma said...

Those are cute! What a neat idea!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog, im now following back!!

donkey and the carrot said...

Hello! Perfect idea! But... i have no idea what PVA Glue is... is it a special glue? We don't have (that firm? that kind?) in Greece. Can you tell me what is it? Thank you :)

Oh Mandie said...

These are super cute and are an amazing idea! I love that paper! I'll definatly be making a few herb cans of my own. Thanks :)

Amanda said...

very very cool idea. i'm just thinking it's starting to get pretty cold outside for my herbs so this is a great options!

Jenny said...

Great tutorial! Thanks! I featured you on my blog: http://aworldofcrafts.blogspot.com/2010/10/herbal-pots.html

Oakdene said...

Nice blog...this has been a wonderful garden tour-thanks for sharing!

Plantscapes designs

Joelle said...

Hi, This is really cute idea! Is that just a regular food can you have repurposed, or is it a brand new can? I was worried about the BPA's they say are in the canned foods. Any input? Thanks!

Ewa said...

Joelle, it is just regural food can, washed and reused.

Self Sagacity said...

Yes, I agree it would be wonderful to have the herbs close to where you cook. Very nice tutorial here Ewa, I love the simplicity.

Tutus & Tea Parties said...

I always save my cans and never know what to do with them. I've been wanting to start an herb garden. I'm going to have to use my cans now!

Thanks for linking up::
http://tutusandteaparties.blogspot.com/2011/10/pinteresting-linky-party-week-eight.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails